and ceramist Kouichi Uchida
Hasegawa’s Special Tableware
Kouichi Uchida is one of the most prominent contemporary ceramic artists.
His experience of creating pottery in various parts of the world makes his works very diverse and dignified in appearance, ranging from large vases to drinking cups.
In 2012, Mr. Uchida and Hasegawa, an ever-evolving restaurant company, cooperated to build a traditional Japanese Anagama kiln on the mountain of Kutsuki, Takashima City, Shiga Prefecture. Most plates and bowls used in our restaurant are created there.
Cooking and tableware are inseparable pairs.
Please enjoy the beautiful harmony between the dishes and the tableware.
Profile - Kouichi Uchida
- Born in Nagoya City, Aichi Prefecture
- Completed Aichi Prefectural Seto Pottery Senior High School Ceramics Course
- Established an independent studio in Yokkaichi, Mie Prefecture
- Activities centered on solo exhibitions.
- Built an anagama kiln in Kutsuki, Shiga Prefecture
- Opened “BANKO archive design museum” in Yokkaichi, Mie Prefecture, a private museum dedicated to Banko ware.
Pictures of Koichi Uchida Pottery Exhibition held at Hasegawa.
Ahead of its opening, Hasegawa, a sushi restaurant in Shinsaibashi, Osaka, commissioned me to make their tableware, and I created them.
When I had a chance to visit the restaurant, I was surprised to see my plates and dishes. Since the restaurant has been so popular, I assumed they must have been damaged and become worn out.
However, I could see that they had been used and cared for with love by the restaurant staff. That made me incredibly happy.
Ceramist Kouichi Uchida